Deadline for Comments to the DEC on SGEIS
Thanks to our friends at United for Action for compiling this information. http://unitedforaction.org/2011/10/13/dec-sgeis-comment-action-center/
Submit Comments to DEC on the SGEIS by 5:00 pm January 11, 2012! Postmarked by then or sent via DEC website.
We want the DEC to receive as many comments as possible on its Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact Statement which paves the way for fracking in NY State. We’re hoping to drown DEC in comments. Please write comments using your own words. Form letters are less effective. Written comments will be accepted by DEC if received by DEC or postmarked by January 11, 2012 by two methods only. Written letter mailed to DEC or electronic submission using a web-based comment form available on DEC’s website http://www.dec.ny.gov/energy/76838.html which we’ve been told is not that user friendly. Comments that are faxed, telephoned, or emailed to the DEC will not be accepted for the official record. We’re encouraging people to submit comments to DEC by regular mail because we’ve been told that letters are more effective.
Mail your comments to:
Attn: dSGEIS Comments
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Albany, NY 12233-6510
Mail a copy to the Governor, your State Senator, and your Assemblyperson to let them know how seriously voters are taking this and that we’re holding them accountable:
The Honorable Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
If you are submitting your comments to DEC electronically, please remember to print out a hard copy and send it to Cuomo, your State Senator and Assemblyperson.
Suggestions for Writing Comments
- Keep your comments focused. Give a paragraph or two to each concern rather than discussing all of your concerns in one long paragraph.
- If you can, make it clear what section and topic in the Draft you are referring to in your comments.
- Every comment matters, but comments with concrete suggestions and with references to articles and papers, are especially useful.
- For clarity, we encourage you to write separate comments on each topic. You may send in multiple letters to DEC covering different topics in each letter.
- Sign your letter individually with your address. If you include a group affiliation, they could be grouped together and counted as one single comment.